Method Monkey Bread
- Combine warm water, yeast, and sugar in a medium bowl. Let this sit for 5-10 minutes to activate the yeast.
- In a small bowl, create flaxseed egg by combining flaxseed meal with water. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add flaxseed egg, pumpkin puree, coconut oil, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg to yeast mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Add 1 c of flour into wet mixture and thoroughly combine. Add another 1 c of flour into mixture and thoroughly combine. Add ½ c of flour into mixture and thoroughly combine. Add 1 Tbsp of flour at a time until dough is no longer sticky (careful not to add too much flour, which will cause the dough to fall apart).
- Knead dough for 5-10 minutes. Then place dough into an oiled glass or ceramic bowl. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and proof for 1 hour on the counter top.
- In a small bowl, prepare the glaze by mixing the agave with almond milk. Set aside for later.
- Prepare cupcake pan with oil or paper cupcake liners.
- Remove dough from bowl and “punch back” the dough to remove some air.
- Create 1 tsp sized dough balls. Create the first layer by placing dough balls in a circle to cover the bottom of the pan (do not push or force dough balls to allow for the dough to expand later). Brush or spoon glaze over the first layer, then top with granola. Place last layer of dough balls on top, then brush or spoon glaze over the layer and top with granola.
- If there are extra dough balls, then simply add another layer!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once all Monkey Breads are completed, set aside to proof for a final 10-15 minutes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until monkey bread is thoroughly baked through.
- Remove from pan and set on cooling rack to cool for 5 minutes.
Cream Cheese Icing
- In a medium bowl, whisk or using an electric hand mixer or a whisk, combine the cream cheese and powdered sugar.
- Once combined, add almond milk 1 Tbsp at a time until desired consistency (if you want it to drizzle add more almond milk and if you want it to be like a smear don’t add almond milk).
- Drizzle cream cheese icing on each Monkey Bread.
- Top with additional granola and serve right away!
Recipe developed by Janelle Stone (@nuttinelli)