This unique Mexican drink is so refreshing and easy to make with only six ingredients! Our friend Anna, from Healthy Simple Yum, teaches us how to make this delicious Horchata drink and how you can use it to make a fun twist to your overnight oats.
Author: Prep Time: 15min Total Time: 15min Yield: 4
2 cups white rice
- 4 cups hot water
- 4 cups room temperature water
- 2 cinnamon sticks or 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder (Ceylon)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat milk or plant milk of choice
- Ice cubes to serve
Overnight Horchata Oats:
- Add rice, cinnamon sticks/powder, and hot water in a mixing bowl. Cover the bowl and let soak overnight at room temperature.
- The next morning, pour the rice mixture into a blender and blend until you create a smooth and watery paste.
- Next, strain the rice mixture into a pitcher using a fine strainer and a cheesecloth. If you don’t have a cheesecloth, that is also okay because the sediment will stay at the bottom of the pitcher.
- Add oat milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and the rest of the water to the horchata. For a tip on how to easily stir-in sugar, see above in the tip section.
- Chill horchata in the refrigerator for a few hours. Serve over ice in glasses and enjoy!
- Add 2 cups Bakery On Main Organic Rolled Oats and 2 cups horchata to a sealable container.
- Refrigerate overnight or for a minimum of 3 hours to allow the oats to “cook”.
- Once it’s ready, sprinkle extra Ceylon cinnamon, any seeds/nuts of choice, and enjoy!