Nothing says it’s the holidays like baking gingerbread cookies! These cookies are slightly crispy on the edges, soft and chewy in the middle, perfectly gingery with a touch of cinnamon and molasses flavors. The key to getting the perfect texture is in the oat flour. This recipe calls for a mix of GF flour and oat flour using Bakery On Main Rolled Oats.
- 3/4 cup Bakery On Main Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp Flaxseed Meal
- 3 tbsp Water
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cashew Butter
- 2 tbsp Molasses
- 1/4 cup Vegan Butter
- 1 tsp Ginger, ground
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 tbsp Almond Milk
- Add water to flaxseed meal to make “flax egg”. Mix well and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Add flax egg, molasses, brown sugar, cashew butter, softened vegan butter, salt, spices, baking soda to a large bowl and beat with a mixer on low setting or whisk by hand until well incorporated.
- Blend oats for oat flour if you haven’t already. Add oat flour and GF flour to the mixing bowl. Stir in with wet ingredients until well combined.
- Dough should hold its shape but not be too sticky or feel dry. Cover and chill dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (176 C). Begin rolling out dough to a thick sheet of cookie dough that is about 1/8 of an inch. Use extra flour as needed to prevent from sticking.
- Use cookie cutter to cut out shapes and carefully remove to prevent ripping of the dough. Transition to baking sheet covered in parchment paper and bake for 8 minutes. Baking time might change depending on how thick your cookies are. If they appear slightly browned around the edges they are ready to be taken out.
- Cool cookies for at least 15 minutes. Whole they are cooling make icing by whisking together confectioner’s sugar, vanilla extract and almond milk.
- Add icing to an icing bag to decorate cookies and enjoy!