Have some old bananas that you are trying to use before they go bad? Our friend Emily at the Glutenless Apron created this tasty new recipe that will put those bananas to good use. Featuring our whole grain Quick Oats, this delectable bread is tasty, easy to make, and gluten free.
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas (from 3 to 4 very ripe bananas)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup + 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup refined coconut oil, melted + cooled
- 2 1⁄4 heaping cups Bakery On Main gluten free quick oats (or 2 cups gluten free oat flour)
- 2 tablespoons Bakery On Main gluten free quick oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
Makes 1 Loaf
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 1⁄2 x 4 1⁄2 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Set aside
- Place 2 1⁄4 heaping cups of quick oats into a blender and blend until smooth and resembles flour. After blending, measure out 2 cups of oat flour, set aside. Store any remaining flour in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- In a large bowl add the mashed bananas, eggs, vanilla extract, dark brown sugar, and coconut oil, whisk until well combined. Next add the oat flour, quick oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the bowl. Mix until combined. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth until even. Top with 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and place on wire rack to finish cooling completely.