When you need an easy desert for a holiday party, family event, or just for a festive dessert, these bars are the best answer! These tasty Gluten-free Cranberry Oat Crumb Bars from Emily at the Glutenless Apron are easy to make, transport, and serve. This recipe features our wholesome gluten-free Whole Grain Oats.
Author: Yield: 9 Bars
- 1 cup Bakery On Main Rolled Oats
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1⁄2 inch chunks
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- zest of 1 orange
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup + 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper on all sides. Allow parchment paper to hang over the sides of the pan, this will allow you to remove the bars easily once cooled. Set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl combine the oats, oat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add the butter and using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work the butter into the dry ingredients until a mixture is formed that looks like moist crumbly sand.
- Pour two-thirds of the crumble mixture into the prepared pan and press down with your hands or a flat spatula to form an even crust. Bake for 12 minutes then remove from the oven. Place remaining crumble mixture in the refrigerator until step 5.
- While the crust is baking, make the cranberry filling. Add cranberries, orange zest, orange juice, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to a medium-size saucepan placed over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and allow cranberries to cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until they have all popped. Next, add the cornstarch, stir to combine, and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes until the filling has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Pour cranberry filling over the baked crust and smooth to an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture evenly over the cranberry filling. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let bars cool completely before removing from pan and slicing.