A great thing about summertime is all of the fresh fruit! I just joined my first CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) last week and got my first delivery this past weekend. I have to say I am so excited to try all of this fresh fruit, but a little worried because there is so much, and I would hate to see any of it wasted! Along with amazing flavors, fruit is jam packed (pun intended) of benefits as well. One of the fruits I received a lot of were oranges. I think I will have to pull out the juicer for some fresh squeezed orange juice!
Health facts about Oranges:
- Oranges are low in calories, contain no saturated fats or cholesterol, rich in dietary fiber,and contain pectin, which is very effective in persons with excess body weight
- Orange fruit also contains a very good amount of minerals like potassium and calcium.
- Orange fruit contains a variety of phyto-chemicals
- Very good source of B-complex vitamins such as thiamin, pyridoxine, and folates
- Plums are plentiful in minerals like potassium, fluoride and iron
- They’re a great source of vitamin C, helping your body fight infection
- Contain vitamin A and beta carotene – both good for your giving your eyesight